Sunday, July 26, 2009

Is is summer yet?

I don't feel like I've had any summer. Oh, I've had vacation, I've lounged about in the sun, I've put on the air conditioner for a brief time, I've grilled out and weed-whacked but it still doesn't seem like it is truly summer.

I've been working from 6 a.m. until 3 or 3:30 or 4 p.m. and there is a monstrous amount of work going on and loads of shredding and filing so I know I'm in the 'summer mode' but it just isn't the same. I've haven't been hot and sticky for weeks on end, I haven't yelled through the bathroom door at the kids, "hey, get out of the shower, shut it off, NOW, the well is going to dry up, it's summer and we haven't had enough rain.", I haven't had a ghastly case of poison ivy ranging all over me and that is why I don't think it has been summer this year. All the usual components are missing.

I'm sure the heat will ramp up for the beginning of school though, yep, 96 for the first week. A moist, languid, thick heat, guaranteed to drive the most mild mannered individual mad with discomfort. Yep, get ready, real summer is right around the corner....but in the meantime ENJOY this great gift of a really stellar summer. Beautiful blue, clear skies, like I remember in the west, crisp cool mornings and the grass still growing at the end of July. Now if the tomatoes could ripen it would truly be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment